Prizes and Awards
Some of the notable ones include
- “Best Paper” Nomination Award for the paper entitled “Micro machining of silicon by Electrical Machining, presented at the 4th International Machining and Grinding Conference, SME, Detroit, USA, 2001.
- Merit Award from the Production and Standard Board of Singapore for significant contribution in preparing quality Code of Practices (CPs), 2001.
- IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Award, 2004 for ‘Development of a Miniature Machine Tool for Micro Machining’.
- Mori Seiki International Exchange Prize for micro machining, 2004:
- Andrew Fraser Prize 2004, first runner’s up for the paper “High-speed milling of titanium alloys using binder-less CBN tools” Int. JMTM.
- Mitutoyo Association for Science and Technology Japan Research Award, 2004
- The 19th Engineering Faculty Innovation Merit Award for “Development of a miniature ultra-precision machine for ELID grinding”, 2005
- The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, LEM21 Leading Edge Manufacturing Achievements Award, 2005
- Mori Seiki Bronze Medal for International Micro Machining, 2006
- Andrew Fraser Prize 2007, finalist for the paper “Development of a fast and fine tool servo system for ultra-precision diamond lathe” Int. JMTM.
- Machine Tools Research Foundation Award, 2007
- Best Entrepreneur Award 2007, finalist, Business Incubation of Global Organizations.
- Machine Tools Research Foundation Award, 2008
- William Jonson Gold Medal for Life Time Achievement in Advancement of Material and Processing Technology, 2009
- “Best Paper” Award for the paper entitled “An Improved FTS-based Diamond Turning Approach for Tool Path Generation of Micro-structured Surfaces”, presented at the Asian Symposium for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology 2009, Kitakyushu, Japan.
- Machine Tools Research Foundation Award, 2009
- A M Strickland Prize 2009 by the Manufacturing Industries Division of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK